Monday, July 6, 2009

12. Challenger


The Honda being fueled by CNG was not really a suitable towing vehicle for the 17 ft. Kestrel. I was soon looking for a more powerful car to tow my trailer yacht to distant lakes in the North Island.


I switch to a 2.8 litre Mercedes. It had plenty of power to tow my boat but the maintenance cost was too high. It was too expensive for me pretending to be a timber tycoon. After two years I traded the Merc for a 2.6 litre Volvo.

This car was slightly newer than the Mercedes; but it lacked the oomph for towing my Noelex 22 over the mountains to Tauranga harbour. I was soon looking for a 4x4.



I traded the Volvo for a 2.8 litre, diesel turbo Mitsibishi Challenger. It was the ideal car for towing the larger trailer yacht which weighs 730 kg. I have used it to tow my boat over the Kaimais to Tauranga harbour, many times, without any trouble. The furthest I have towed my boat was to the Bay of Islands (368 km).

Russel, the Bay of islands

No comments:

Post a Comment