Sunday, July 12, 2009

9. My first house in NZ

15, Sheridan Street
This was my first house in NZ. It had 4 bedrooms and a small garage for one car. It was located near Silverdale Road and less than 10 minutes walk to the Waikato University for Kevin and just around the corner from Hilcrest High where Pearl and Eugene attended form 7.
The best feature about this house was the rear where it backed onto the Ruakura Research Centre. Quite often we saw cows grazing behind the back fence. Some of these cows had a small plastic window installed in their side. Research scientists came regualrly to take samples from the cow's stomach for testing and analysis.

Mercedes 280SE
I had always dreamt of driving a Mercedes Benz in Miri. Many rich timber tycoons owned Mercedes in Miri but none of them would let me drive his Bensi. With 3 teenagers to educate, there was just no chance for me at that time to buy such an expensive luxury car. I went to a car auction in Hamilton in 1998 and bought a 1983 model 280SE for 8k. Finally in NZ, I was able to fulfill my dream. At one stage I owned two dream cars!

2 dream cars!
I still remembered towing my Kestrel, a 17 ft trailer yacht one day to Lake Karapiro and saying this prayer out loud inside the car: I thank thee Lord for this Mercedes and this Kestrel. I was all alone in the car! That was one of the happiest moments of my life. The other happiest moment of my life was when I shot an eagle (2 under) at the 17th, par 4 hole, at the Narrows Golf course.

No comments:

Post a Comment